Friday 5 September 2014

AUTUMN AIR WITH A SIDE OF BROILED SALMON



What is it about September that makes one want to start anew?  Personally, I find it far more motivating than a mere New Year’s resolution. The bright fresh feel of a crisp autumn day, all the little (and big) kiddies getting ready for a brand new grade. BRAND NEW!! Wall Street humming again, after that boring August lull. The Wall Street thing means nothing to me but it makes my hubby truly happy, which due to the natural order of things, makes me truly happy.

Yes, September is indeed refreshing and invigorating. How timely, since it has recently been brought to my attention by those who love me, that I have been trudging through life rather aimlessly and without purpose of late (expressed in the most loving of terms).  It didn’t take much soul searching to realize the truth in this assessment. Thus, I have to decided to reignite myself! To release my passions and set them aflame!

This means what? A brand new recipe, of course. BRAND NEW!! With a side of fresh writing and maybe a brand new pair of earrings. Big ones. I had forgotten how much I love those things.


 
BROILED SALMON WITH A MUSHROOM & PEPPER GLAZE
A quick note on salmon. I was happy to come upon a fresh organic salmon at my favourite big box store. And though I felt somewhat virtuous about buying it, knowing all the horror stories of regular farmed salmon, something was nagging at me. It was the colour and soft flabby texture of the fish. Exactly like the usual farmed salmon most of us have experienced. Anyway, after some delving into the issue, it appears organic salmon bears little difference to regular farmed salmon and there are no strict regulations regarding it.
So without being too preachy, I would advise a nice wild salmon for this recipe, whichever variety you prefer.

Large fillet of salmon
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup peanut oil
1 large red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
1/2 large red pepper, chopped
!/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms, reconstituted, rinsed and drained 
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons thai chili sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce, your favourite 
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon of cornstarch, dissolved in 1 teaspoon of water


LIne a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Set salmon atop. Brush with oil and sprinkle with pepper and salt. Set aside.

Preheat the broiler.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-heat. Sauté onions, ginger and peppers until just starting to brown, stirring occasionally.

Add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes.

Reduce the heat to medium and add garlic. Cook for about 1 minute, being careful not to let it burn.

Add remaining ingredients up to cornstarch. Bring to a simmer.

Add the cornstarch and stir until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.

Remove from heat and set this mixture aside.

Place the salmon under the broiler and broil for about 8 minutes, or until just barely firm to the touch. Remove from the oven, spread the mushroom mixture atop and place under broiler again, for about 1 minute, or until browned and bubbly.

And with this, a new season begins with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment